Saturday, April 16, 2011

Poufs Tutorial

There's a NASCAR race on right now,
so unless I want to involuntarily fall asleep because of
repetitive sound of the car engines, I need to do something to
keep me preoccupied!  

What better way than a tutorial on how to make poufs! 
I made these several weeks ago and have worn them a couple of times.
In my attempt to use several different prints and fabrics to make the poufs,
I have discovered that a light fabric, like chiffon, works the best.

I rummaged through my closet and through my facebook albums to see
if I had a picture of the shirt I was going to use. 
So, here's a picture of maybe the only time I wore this shirt. 
This was taken at our pre-graduation party behind the Wholgy. 

There's a lot of great colors in this shirt: pink, green, blue, and black.
Basically the colors that I wear all the time. 
So I knew that I would be able to wear these poufs with many outfits.

Without futher ado...

1. CUT CIRCLES/OVALS.
I cut out a circle that was about 2 inches in diameter.
I placed several layers of fabric underneath the circle
so that the cutting process wouldn't take as long.

 



2. FOLD CIRCLES
Fold one circle at a time.  Fold in half, then in half again. 
It will look like part of a flower petal.


 








3. SEW PETALS TOGETHER
Get out your needle and thread. 
Thread the needle through the fabric at the bottom where the fabric
has been folded ino the shape of a triangle. 
Continue sewing the rest of your petals onto each other. 


 









The only advice that I can give to you is to experiment with
the placement of all these petals. 
The number of petals I used for each pouf differed. 
On some I used more and on some I used less just because
of the way I arranged and placed the petals around each other.
But on average, I used anywhere from 12-16 petals for one pouf. 


 









4. PREPARE THE BACK
I used my hot glue gun to glue a circle of black felt on the back of the pouf.
Then I glued an alligator hair clip to the back so that I could attach
the pouf to my clothes or to even put in my hair.  

 








And there you have it!

1 comment:

  1. Ash! My sister and I made a variation of these for corsages for people helping at her wedding last summer. They were REAL cute. We used simple cotton material, but I like your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete